I really, really like a good mushroom soup. Unfortunately, most recipes call for cream, half & half and other awesome ingredients that I LOVE but have been trying to reduce, or at least pay careful attention to. Well...today, I am just tickled because I think I've hit on something just right. This mushroom soup is rich with that meaty taste that the portabella mushrooms give to any dish. Topped off with some scallions and maybe some crusty bread - there will be no bad attitudes here tonight!
Mushroom Soup2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced celery
1 teaspoon thyme
3 cups chopped portabella mushrooms
2 cups vegetable stock
3 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Dash of red pepper flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Melt butter in stock pot.
- Add onion, carrot and celery cooking until translucent over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic, mushrooms and thyme.
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium low heat.
- Add stocks, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and check for seasonings.
Notes ~ you can use all vegetable or beef broth if that's what you have on hand. I found that the beef broth brought out the flavor of the mushrooms and provided a more flavorful soup.