Of course, I couldn't just let this recipe go as it was, I had to give it a little southern twist. I had some sausage crumbles that were left over from another dish and they were just calling out for waffles & syrup! Simple and easy, just add your batter to the waffle maker then sprinkle on the cooked sausage. It's the perfect match with warm syrup, add a little fruit on the side and you are ready to start your day.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons butter - melted
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Make a well in the middle of dry ingredients and stir in buttermilk, butter and eggs.
- Stir until thoroughly mixed - batter will be thick.
- Pour a scoop of batter into waffle maker - size of scoop will differ depending on size of waffle plate.
- If adding sausage - sprinkle 1/3 cup of crumbled cooked sausage on top of batter then continue with cooking instruction.
- Close lid and cook for 4 -5 minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately with warm syrup.
- If Freezing - let cool on a baking rack. Place in an airtight freezer bag with parchment separating each waffle.