I think this dish might just be the ultimate one - pot wonder! Crispy, juicy chicken with tender vegetables all in a rich flavorful sauce is a meal that's perfect for any night of the week or for casual entertaining.
The reason I call it ultimate is because this dish is so easy and you can be your own chef. What I mean is this - change up the chicken pieces to whatever you like, take away any of the veggies I used and mix in your own, like leeks, parsnips, or possibly just all carrots and potatoes.
See what I mean? I like to serve this dish family style with a green salad, some crusty bread that's always used to scoop up some of the sauce. No matter how you make it…just make it, then stand back, watch your family & friends enjoy a little something wonderful.
Oven Roasted Chicken
4 chicken thighs - bone in/skin on
4 chicken legs - bone in/skin on
1 large onion - peeled
3 large carrots- washed
4 small to medium potatoes - washed
3 celery ribs - washed
1/2 cup white wine
4 tablespoons olive oil (1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon oil in bottom of a 9x11 baking dish.
- Roughly chop onion, carrots, potatoes and celery. Place vegetables in bottom of dish. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place chicken pieces in dish, slightly arranging vegetables around sides of meat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and thyme then drizzle on remaining olive oil.
- Gently pour wine around side of dish.
- Roast in oven for 45 - 50 minutes until chicken has a golden brown skin.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken pieces and serve.