Stromboli - that warm, meat and cheese Italian turnover, gently dipped into homemade sauce is one beautiful slice of comfort food. Everyone in our family loves, and I mean LOVES, Stromboli.
I am always drawn to recipes that can be changed up so that my family and friends can enjoy something they really like which makes this one a winner. My traditional recipe combines Italian sausage, cheese and pepperoni but there are multiple ways of changing this up.
Just pick out all your favorite meats, cheeses, and a few extras
then roll out the dough and pop it in the oven.
Make a little sauce, then in less than an hour, you've got a wonderful meal to share with your family.
By the way…you can make a couple of different versions, keep cool in the fridge till time to bake then serve for game day or casual entertaining!
Sausage & Pepperoni Stromboli
1 ball or roll of pizza dough (homemade is great but I used store-bought)
1 lb Italian sausage
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 package sliced pepperoni
2 cups pizza sauce
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook Italian sausage in a medium skillet until browned. Drain on paper towels and crumble into small pieces.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on a baking pan and lightly flour. Roll dough out to form a large rectangle.
- Brush a thin layer of pizza sauce on dough. Layer on crumbled sausage then mozzarella cheese.
- Place pepperoni slices on top of cheese then sprinkle with 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Gently roll in short sides of dough to form a seal around filling.
- Starting on long side of dough, carefully roll into one third of Stromboli. Using parchment, roll dough again until reaching opposite end. Pinch together and place seam side down.
- Mix egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush egg mixture over Stromboli and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 Parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven and IMMEDIATELY TURN OVEN DOWN to 350 degrees.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Test center of turnover. If dough is not completely cooked, slice Stromboli in half and bake for additional 5-8 minutes.
- Serve with warm pizza sauce